French Quarter Facts
Did you know these facts about the French Quarter?
- It is also known as the Vieux Carré, which is French for “Old Square.”
- The area it occupies is the same 6×13 block area laid out in 1722 as the original City of New Orleans.
- It is one of the oldest residential communities in the USA.
- It is presently home to over 4000 residents.
- These residents graciously accept over 15 million visitors annually in their neighborhood.
- It was named a National Historic Landmark in 1966.
- The National Trust for Historic Preservation considers the French Quarter to be one of the most endangered historical places in the country.